Skip to main content

It's weird feeling nostalgia for something I have no interest in returning to.

I used to post on message boards at GameFAQs.com a lot. Enough to become a mod, to show up in fan fics (where I had a surprising streak of not dying), to make friends online and in real life, and to waste a good chunk of my late teens through mid-twenties. At some point, I even began to sometimes think of myself (in mental self-referential address) by the initials of my main handle, 'Bastard Knight'. That online life lasted almost 8 years, but then (finally) I got bored, so I left.

I had promised myself sometime prior, I would never make a thread about leaving. Those always annoyed me. If I left, I would just get the fuck out. My final topic was, "You are boring," where I offered to probably not tell anyone who posted in the topic how mind numbingly uninteresting they had become. No one took it as an insult, because I insulted people there all the time.

Anyway, today, I was trying to remember something from back then. So I did a quick search online, and found some archives of old forum detritus. I don't miss being there at all: refreshing every couple of minutes, staying up all night to argue inanities, watching over boards and posters as a mod, eventually being disconnected from it all, but behaviourally addicted. But, just now, I sort of miss the time when it was fun, and (to a lesser extent) the now irrellevant format of the old Internet.

Apparently, there were rumours that I had died after my absence was noted, as well as an abortive, faux screenplay written about users searching for my online persona. It didn't get so far as them discovering my corpse or anything, though, so I guess I remain immortal in GameFAQs related fanfiction. That's something.

>_>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I put it to you:

What is wrong with moustaches? Eh?

For Every Problem, a Solution (2)

Each panel originally had a caption, a feature which was scrapped in a silly attempt to bring cohesiveness to the page as a whole.  They were as follows: panel 1 - Pig fingers!  Carrot hands!  Cannot draw! panel 2 - Focus off. panel 3 - Perspective is a matter of perspective. panel 4 - What, me worry? In thinking about it, I suppose I might have impanelled these in the orange bar at the right, but it probably would've been a bit much. ... I'm not sure how wide-spread the campaign is, but in  Seattle, there are numerous billboards and bus signs which read, "Jesus is ____."  I want to play mad libs with these things, or else write in, "a day labourer."  Other acceptable answers include, "bearded," and, "featured in a Leonard Cohen song."

Sisyphus, as Per Camus:

Word.