Skip to main content

Being bored is a viscious cycle I could do without. Also, comics.

Had a nice bout of drawing about a week ago. I made my kid brother's birthday dinner and cake icing on Tuesday. Outside of that, I can't think of anything productive I've been into in the last few weeks. Semester's over soon, so I got a change of pace coming up. Hopefully, that'll help me out a bit.

It also means I've got some papers I gotta write pretty soon. Papers I should be working on now.

Right.

I'm looking forward to working on some art projects with my mid brother, before year's end. Hope to finally get some of my more recent comics scanned and up at my website. Put up a poor composition there that I've been tooling with in Garage Band. Just something to get me used to the program. Not like I'll know what I'm doing once I figure out how to exploit its features. >_>
...

Been reading manga off the net recently. The names that have stuck out are those of Hiroki Endo and Yamamoto Hideo. Nothing groundbreaking in their art or layout, but it's solid, and the writing and subject matter are quirky enough to garner my attention.

Read through Lone Wolf and Cub. The brush work in this series is inspired. The art is often flawed, but this only adds to the unique aesthetic of the books. Its plot is episodic and not entirely deep, but it really draws you in. I found myself unable to put it down for something like 1000 pages. One of the few manga published by Dark Horse where they actually took care with the printing. Worth the $280 for all 28 volumes.

Among western comics, I've been buying:

Solo a great project from DC, pretty much handing the reins over to respected, but sometimes lesser known artists and authors, one per issue.
Burglar Bill by Paul Grist, a British artist. The art and story work for me, but I think Grist misses a lot of chances in his approach to layout especially by using multiple panels for single pictures.
Any Scott Morse material I have the money for.
Still on the lookout for Paul Hornschemeier's 2005 work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I put it to you:

What is wrong with moustaches? Eh?

For Every Problem, a Solution (2)

Each panel originally had a caption, a feature which was scrapped in a silly attempt to bring cohesiveness to the page as a whole.  They were as follows: panel 1 - Pig fingers!  Carrot hands!  Cannot draw! panel 2 - Focus off. panel 3 - Perspective is a matter of perspective. panel 4 - What, me worry? In thinking about it, I suppose I might have impanelled these in the orange bar at the right, but it probably would've been a bit much. ... I'm not sure how wide-spread the campaign is, but in  Seattle, there are numerous billboards and bus signs which read, "Jesus is ____."  I want to play mad libs with these things, or else write in, "a day labourer."  Other acceptable answers include, "bearded," and, "featured in a Leonard Cohen song."

Sisyphus, as Per Camus:

Word.