Skip to main content

So my brother is interested in that which is beneath hip-hop.


Fancies himself an MC, and I'm cool with that. Ever since my boy Alexei got too busy with Blue Scholars, it's pretty much just been Devin who's tipped me to serious music within the super-genre of hip-hop.

Now he's going to a Community College, a JC if you will, studying music and electronic production. This has upped his game a bit, and it makes me wish he would update his Soundclick profile a little more often. He plays beats and spits for people who drop by his basement domicile, but he doesn't share too much with the rest of the world. He's exploring music, which is exciting, for me as well as him. I like to watch people go through that creative process where not everything's already settled for them.

Our mom complains that his material is too dark, and I gather she also finds it overly abstract. I guess the feel doesn't sit well with her for reasons beyond aesthetics. Not that there's anything to be done for it. Myself, I think this sort of thing can function as a method of managing stress, depression, and whatnot, as a sort of a release, but what do I know? I enjoy it enough to not let these things get to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Unrealism

The same men who say global warming is a hoax, Obamacare has been failing for eight years, and abstinence-only sex-ed works are also convinced even basic gun control is an impossible and useless approach which would only make us less safe. These are also the dudes most likely to tell you black and brown folk have it too good, Obama is a secret Muslim born in Kenya, and Sharia law is being forced on American legal systems. I wonder if there's some sort of overarching thread or theme to all this.

I put it to you:

What is wrong with moustaches? Eh?

'((BORDERS))' & 'The Blue Trees' at Westlake Park

For the last few weeks, two public art projects have coexisted at Westlake Park, in the thick of Seattle's downtown. '((Borders))' is by Steinunn Thorarinsdottir , a metal sculptor who seems primarily interested in featureless people in various states and positions.  Originally installed outside of the U.N. headquarters, it is supposed to reflect something (or other) about multiculturalism.  Passersby seem most interested in the composition of the statues. Thoraninsdottir's site is pretty cool, by the way. Konstantin Dimopoulos's 'The Blue Trees' is meant to bring trees into contrast with their surroundings, and so remind people of them.  By extension, this is supposed to bring attention to deforestation, over-logging, and the like.  The actual effect is mere surreal wonderment, but anyone so confused can read the small sign standing in the middle of the park for clarification. I'm not sure how successful these are in achieving their stated int...