Skip to main content

I put it to you:





What is wrong with moustaches?

Eh?

Comments

  1. I feel weird and ostracized whenever I have a mustache.

    Apparently there's even a special month for mustaches (like there special occasions for otehr minority groups), which someone at college informed me of last year when he saw I had a mustache. He thought I was participating in something called "Movember".

    Your people kind of remind of Egyptian paintings with their big eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you British, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently I can't upload photos in my comments...I drew a picture of the Butcher from Gangs of New York a couple months ago and he had a really wicked looking mustache

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to see that drawing. Bill the Butcher was a great character. Maybe you can just post a link.

    By the way, I am not British--I was born in Canada to American parents, and live in the US now. However, I sometimes change my spellchecker to British or Canadian English for a change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have sported a decent amount of facial hair for most of the past 14 years. When not required by work or sport to shave, I have worn chops, a full beard, a circle beard (AKA a California goatee), or something between that and a traditional Van Dyke for years at a time. I cannot tell you exactly how long I have worn any style of facial except my moustache. That, I had for three days when I was twenty.

    It did, indeed, feel weird. But, then, so does wearing a watch at first. More importantly, it looked silly, which is both why I chose to leave it when I first decided I should be shorn and why I clipped it shortly afterwards.

    The only way I might go back to that would be for a Halloween party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As to big eyes, I think I stole the idea from medieval prints I'd seen from Europe and India. They were intentionally flat, and less concerned with realism than a good and sometimes simple presentation. I liked that.

    I'm sure all the Japanese cartoons I've exposed myself to have helped my 'big eye' tendency along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, here's a link. It's (the drawing) from a photo reference.

    http://flipdarkchillwinter.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/sketchbook5-014.jpg

    I'm not really sure what my drawing style is. I don't think I have one. Sometimes I try to do realism, but usually I don't have the attention span/concentration to do it well. Sometimes it feels better just to let go, but that gets disatisfying after awhile too since you need some kind of control.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoah. I really like that. The shading is particularly cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to thank you for looking at my image since most people don't even take the time to do that.

    I just wish I were good enough to make up a good picture of the Butcher from my head, of him doing something particularly insidious and brutal

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For Every Problem, a Solution (2)

Each panel originally had a caption, a feature which was scrapped in a silly attempt to bring cohesiveness to the page as a whole.  They were as follows: panel 1 - Pig fingers!  Carrot hands!  Cannot draw! panel 2 - Focus off. panel 3 - Perspective is a matter of perspective. panel 4 - What, me worry? In thinking about it, I suppose I might have impanelled these in the orange bar at the right, but it probably would've been a bit much. ... I'm not sure how wide-spread the campaign is, but in  Seattle, there are numerous billboards and bus signs which read, "Jesus is ____."  I want to play mad libs with these things, or else write in, "a day labourer."  Other acceptable answers include, "bearded," and, "featured in a Leonard Cohen song."

For Every Problem, a Solution (4)

God as depicted throughout the ages.  No Alanis Morissette, and, no, that isn't ironic.