Skip to main content

I put it to you:





What is wrong with moustaches?

Eh?

Comments

  1. I feel weird and ostracized whenever I have a mustache.

    Apparently there's even a special month for mustaches (like there special occasions for otehr minority groups), which someone at college informed me of last year when he saw I had a mustache. He thought I was participating in something called "Movember".

    Your people kind of remind of Egyptian paintings with their big eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you British, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently I can't upload photos in my comments...I drew a picture of the Butcher from Gangs of New York a couple months ago and he had a really wicked looking mustache

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to see that drawing. Bill the Butcher was a great character. Maybe you can just post a link.

    By the way, I am not British--I was born in Canada to American parents, and live in the US now. However, I sometimes change my spellchecker to British or Canadian English for a change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have sported a decent amount of facial hair for most of the past 14 years. When not required by work or sport to shave, I have worn chops, a full beard, a circle beard (AKA a California goatee), or something between that and a traditional Van Dyke for years at a time. I cannot tell you exactly how long I have worn any style of facial except my moustache. That, I had for three days when I was twenty.

    It did, indeed, feel weird. But, then, so does wearing a watch at first. More importantly, it looked silly, which is both why I chose to leave it when I first decided I should be shorn and why I clipped it shortly afterwards.

    The only way I might go back to that would be for a Halloween party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As to big eyes, I think I stole the idea from medieval prints I'd seen from Europe and India. They were intentionally flat, and less concerned with realism than a good and sometimes simple presentation. I liked that.

    I'm sure all the Japanese cartoons I've exposed myself to have helped my 'big eye' tendency along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, here's a link. It's (the drawing) from a photo reference.

    http://flipdarkchillwinter.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/sketchbook5-014.jpg

    I'm not really sure what my drawing style is. I don't think I have one. Sometimes I try to do realism, but usually I don't have the attention span/concentration to do it well. Sometimes it feels better just to let go, but that gets disatisfying after awhile too since you need some kind of control.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoah. I really like that. The shading is particularly cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to thank you for looking at my image since most people don't even take the time to do that.

    I just wish I were good enough to make up a good picture of the Butcher from my head, of him doing something particularly insidious and brutal

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Unrealism

The same men who say global warming is a hoax, Obamacare has been failing for eight years, and abstinence-only sex-ed works are also convinced even basic gun control is an impossible and useless approach which would only make us less safe. These are also the dudes most likely to tell you black and brown folk have it too good, Obama is a secret Muslim born in Kenya, and Sharia law is being forced on American legal systems. I wonder if there's some sort of overarching thread or theme to all this.

'((BORDERS))' & 'The Blue Trees' at Westlake Park

For the last few weeks, two public art projects have coexisted at Westlake Park, in the thick of Seattle's downtown. '((Borders))' is by Steinunn Thorarinsdottir , a metal sculptor who seems primarily interested in featureless people in various states and positions.  Originally installed outside of the U.N. headquarters, it is supposed to reflect something (or other) about multiculturalism.  Passersby seem most interested in the composition of the statues. Thoraninsdottir's site is pretty cool, by the way. Konstantin Dimopoulos's 'The Blue Trees' is meant to bring trees into contrast with their surroundings, and so remind people of them.  By extension, this is supposed to bring attention to deforestation, over-logging, and the like.  The actual effect is mere surreal wonderment, but anyone so confused can read the small sign standing in the middle of the park for clarification. I'm not sure how successful these are in achieving their stated int...