Skip to main content

For Every Problem, a Solution (3)

Nat Turner and John Brown are both famous in the United States for having lead failed slave rebellions in the decades before the U.S. Civil War.  They have each inspired several artistic and historical works.  I read "The Confessions of Nat Turner" when I was 14, but have yet to read "John Brown's Body".

The KKK are, of course, racist dicks who Superman beat up.

Comments

  1. You had me at the first panel.

    Why's there a flying Klan member in the second panel?

    I've heard there was a Klan active around where I went to high school, up until a couple decades ago...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. They're still out there somewhere. There are still a few thousand members of various groups calling themselves the Klan, according to Wikipedia and my recollection of statements from the Southern Poverty Law Centre.

    But, really, the Klan has become a sort of bogeyman used both to help white mainstream American society focus its own attention away from much broader, historical racism, and to belittle the import of more 'civilized', contemporary forms of the same. I suppose I'm kind of purpetuating that here, but it's hard to have historical figures engage in adventurous battle with nebulous forces on mist three panels. And, really, why should I engage in anything difficult?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that they used to have names like Imperial Wizard and stuff for their ranks. It was like a little fantasy club for white people.

    I guess I don't think too much about racism. I used to live in Pittsburgh, and most of the time when I was 'out on the streets' by myself the black people I met tried to hustle me, and generally succeeded. They seem to know that I'm an easy mark.

    The thing about racism and stuff like that for me though, is that I don't like to make it a point of attention and act like I pity the victims...because that's demeaning..like their your charity case..you know? I do the same thing with old people and handicapped people too..I don't just assume they need help with things, because some like to do things on their own to have pride.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Unrealism

The same men who say global warming is a hoax, Obamacare has been failing for eight years, and abstinence-only sex-ed works are also convinced even basic gun control is an impossible and useless approach which would only make us less safe. These are also the dudes most likely to tell you black and brown folk have it too good, Obama is a secret Muslim born in Kenya, and Sharia law is being forced on American legal systems. I wonder if there's some sort of overarching thread or theme to all this.

I put it to you:

What is wrong with moustaches? Eh?

'((BORDERS))' & 'The Blue Trees' at Westlake Park

For the last few weeks, two public art projects have coexisted at Westlake Park, in the thick of Seattle's downtown. '((Borders))' is by Steinunn Thorarinsdottir , a metal sculptor who seems primarily interested in featureless people in various states and positions.  Originally installed outside of the U.N. headquarters, it is supposed to reflect something (or other) about multiculturalism.  Passersby seem most interested in the composition of the statues. Thoraninsdottir's site is pretty cool, by the way. Konstantin Dimopoulos's 'The Blue Trees' is meant to bring trees into contrast with their surroundings, and so remind people of them.  By extension, this is supposed to bring attention to deforestation, over-logging, and the like.  The actual effect is mere surreal wonderment, but anyone so confused can read the small sign standing in the middle of the park for clarification. I'm not sure how successful these are in achieving their stated int...