Skip to main content

For Every Problem, a Solution (2)

Each panel originally had a caption, a feature which was scrapped in a silly attempt to bring cohesiveness to the page as a whole.  They were as follows:

panel 1 - Pig fingers!  Carrot hands!  Cannot draw!

panel 2 - Focus off.

panel 3 - Perspective is a matter of perspective.

panel 4 - What, me worry?

In thinking about it, I suppose I might have impanelled these in the orange bar at the right, but it probably would've been a bit much.
...

I'm not sure how wide-spread the campaign is, but in  Seattle, there are numerous billboards and bus signs which read, "Jesus is ____."  I want to play mad libs with these things, or else write in, "a day labourer."  Other acceptable answers include, "bearded," and, "featured in a Leonard Cohen song."

Comments

  1. I was kind of wondering why you usually don't put politics into your paintings/drawings.

    I don't usually do it either, but I always just chalked it up to the fact that I don't have any coherent political opinions.

    I drew a picture of Barack Obama as a llama smoking a joint, and one of Titt Cromney, with a fake female breast sewn over his suit, but that's it.

    I've never seen a Jesus is.... sign. All I see our are bumper stickers on cars that assure me that Jesus loves me.

    We don't have public transportation buses where I live.

    We do have billboards though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solving large scale social issues is, in part, a political matter, so that's why I strayed there with this stuff. As to other comics I've done, I don't know. Honestly, it almost never occurs to me to make political comics. I guess politics is a separate realm to me, and I can better express myself on those matters in prose, or at least it's easier than it would be in comic form.

    I'm also not much for editorial caricatures, so single panel political cartooning would be a stretch for me. I like your ideas, though. 'Titt Cromney' is a funny name, even without the visual gag.

    ...Billboards are everywhere, Crayon. They probably have them along the Amazon these days. Putting buses there would be a little harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to ask for links to the drawings or your webpage. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've considered doing editorial type caricatures of the kind I see in the newspaper. But then when I try to come up with ideas, the burden of trying to be clever/witty and socially relevant ends up getting the better of me.

    Here's a link to my webpage: http://captainprinny.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you think of it as something you've got to live up to, you're probably never going to be happy doing cartoons. I'm most satisfied after I stop caring whether something's going to be good or not, and just do it. Even when I don't like the product, or when I screw up somewhere, I can use what I did right later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good approach, I think. I feel like I've spent the better part of my post high school years trying to do that...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Unrealism

The same men who say global warming is a hoax, Obamacare has been failing for eight years, and abstinence-only sex-ed works are also convinced even basic gun control is an impossible and useless approach which would only make us less safe. These are also the dudes most likely to tell you black and brown folk have it too good, Obama is a secret Muslim born in Kenya, and Sharia law is being forced on American legal systems. I wonder if there's some sort of overarching thread or theme to all this.

I put it to you:

What is wrong with moustaches? Eh?

'((BORDERS))' & 'The Blue Trees' at Westlake Park

For the last few weeks, two public art projects have coexisted at Westlake Park, in the thick of Seattle's downtown. '((Borders))' is by Steinunn Thorarinsdottir , a metal sculptor who seems primarily interested in featureless people in various states and positions.  Originally installed outside of the U.N. headquarters, it is supposed to reflect something (or other) about multiculturalism.  Passersby seem most interested in the composition of the statues. Thoraninsdottir's site is pretty cool, by the way. Konstantin Dimopoulos's 'The Blue Trees' is meant to bring trees into contrast with their surroundings, and so remind people of them.  By extension, this is supposed to bring attention to deforestation, over-logging, and the like.  The actual effect is mere surreal wonderment, but anyone so confused can read the small sign standing in the middle of the park for clarification. I'm not sure how successful these are in achieving their stated int...